<$BlogRSDURL$>

The Nacreous Oughts

24 November 2005

Federico García Lorca
Gacela of the Flight
 
I have lost myself in the sea many times
with my ear full of freshly cut flowers,
with my tongue full of love and agony.
I have lost myself in the sea many times
as I lose myself in the heart of certain children.
 
There is no one who in giving a kiss
does not feel the smile of faceless people,
and no one who in touching a newborn child
forgets the motionless skulls of horses.
 
Because the roses search in the forehead
for a hard landscape of bone
and the hands of man have no other purpose
than to imitate the roots below the earth.
 
As I lose myself in the heart of certain children,
I have lost myself in the sea many times.
Ignorant of the water I go seeking
a death full of light to consume me.
 
Translation from Spanish © Stephen Spender and J. L. Gili

K. S.


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?